11.14.2009

Fish out of Water

We went on another training 17 hour bus ride. At the site I got to dig a mini landfill, teach a class on self esteem, hang out with pigs, do house visits, create a radio spot, help build a community garden. I took my first bucket bath, not so bad. I realize I will have many problems with bugs as I have gotten bitten so many times my legs are just hopeless. I also got stung by a bee in my pants random. At another point there were ants in my pants luckiy I was not wearing them. I met my site that I will be living in for the next two years. It is an overwhelming experience. I have multiple schools with about 500 students in each school. I have had to make two speeches in front of no less than 600 people. I met the mayor, governer, advisors to the mayor, and justice of the peace. I have met the health center staff doctor, nurse, technicians, and pharmacists. I have met professors and directors of schools. I have met my new host family. I have a nice home with a bathroom, shower, running water and electicity. My family also raises turkeys so we are not lacking in that category. We have chickens as well. I live by a loud speaker which is the only downfall because at 545 on the dot the annoucements for the day begin a full blast into my bedroom for at least an hour. I have cell phone service and am close to the internet. I basically live in a city that is more or less in a dry forest/desert. The sun is strong, the heat is intense. I sweat pretty much all the time. I will be able to have a bike so that is really exciting as I miss my bike at home. I still have to figure out exactly where everything is in my town and meet a boat load of people. I also need to set up my room. It appears I will begin working from day one which is not common. But the guy before me worked hard and accomplished a lot. The standards are high and I am going to do my best to match it. This is honestly not what I had in my mind because it is so much larger than I expected. But I will be a much better public speaker when all is said and done. My spanish has received complements but I need to build my vocabulary. I feel immensely supported by my community but slightly intimidated. I will be leaving to resume training for one more week and then I am official. These past few months have flown by and I can only hope that I have all the skills I will need to survive, no thrive. Just keep breathing and meeting new people I suppose is the best way to manage.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sending me the link. I enjoyed reading all your posts, keep them coming!! It seems like your doing wonderful and I cant be happier for you!! It seems like you are using a lot of your knowledge from nutrition and also learning a lot. Im jealous that your spanish is going to be impecable once you come back. Keep up the good work helping to change the world! Miss you!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete