11.28.2009

My first work week

I got sick for the first time spent a night with diarrhea followed by a morning of vomiting followed by more diarrhea, fever, chills, headache, fatigue, with more diarrhea and vomiting. Bacterial infection got on antibiotics much better now. Perhaps someday you will all have the pleasure of realizing how much solid poop is a joy in life. I graduated from training quite the emotional day. We had to say goodbye to our host families, our trainers, and our new friends all at once. Then pack up and get on the next 16 hour bus ride. The municipality came and took me personally from my capital city to my new home.That made me feel really important but I find myself passing a majority of my time with some sort of official. I found out it is over 100 degrees farenheit everyday here. Consequently, I am sweating frequently especially because I walk or ride my bike everywhere. I think Zeek is a good name for him. Definately a boy it is a mountain bike really tough for the rugged turraine. I organized a parade for World´s Aids day, December 1st. I am building improved cooking stoves next week as well. I am helping out in the library, and soon will be teaching English combined with self esteem and higiene during summer school. I have to start interviewing the community to determine what themes I should be working with. Anywho, the first week was very busy followed by one nervous breakdown on Thanksgiving. I feel it was well earned considering I had yet to cry since arriving to Peru. It is sad to be away from family and friends especially during the holidays and especially when everyone around me keeps asking if I love my family because I moved so far away. The answer is I am constantly thinking about all of you. Plus your pictures are plastered on my wall for inspiration.I am enjoying my new family however. They are immensely great people and kind. I think I now have 5 families in my life. So this week was the Aniversary of my town which is a big deal here. So yesterday I went to Mass, watched the parade from the VIP stand with all the authorities of my town, then there was a speech about all the projects that have been realized in 2009, lunch, then dancing and drinking with the priest, nuns, the directors of the schools, the presidents of clubs, and the Govenor. It was incredible, I of course won brownie points with my sweet dance moves. Today the parties continued as it was the birthday of our health center. More dancing and drinking with the doctors, mayor, nurses, and health technicians. Unfortunately, there is only loads of beer and this other drink called chicha which is kind of like corn beer but strong. Still hate beer by the way, but it is a right of passage to be a part of drinking circles here. Not to mention eating large portions of meat which my stomach is still uncertain how to digest. I never know exactly what meat I am eating and I suppose it does not matter it is just funny to me because I do not want to eat any meat. Also today there was a soup in which the women to my right had a quarter of the head of a pig and to my left half of the stomach and bowels. I lucked out and had the vegetarian portion, containing no actual vegetables. I am curious if this is how it always is here or if it is just because it is the aniversary. I guess I will figure that fact out next week. Everyone askings me if i am accustomed to living here. In my opinion it is a ridiculous question because no one can be used living anywhere in 3 days. I think since everything in my life is at lightening speed so will my adaptation. I am hoping within the month my spanish, my attitude, my understanding of culture and the organizations will be up to par. I hope to be able to do my laundry without help (no laundry machines here), to make friends, and have a solid work plan. I realize that is ambitious but well if I want to get shit done I need to feel competent as a human first. And so begins the next big change, the previous guy told me that I will get hit by the bus so many times and stand back up that eventually I will realize I am stronger than the bus. I am looking at this quote as a warning but also as an inspiration. I know I am strong but this experience is certainly a test physically, mentally, and emotionally. Here´s to giggling at your own sense of humor. (In my case laughing at myself and at things that are not really funny at all) Cheers. And a tardie Happy Turkey day.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are hanging in there. You will change the world yet. Karl is off to England for a spell, which in some ways is a little odd not having him close. The time differance is I think the biggest pain. I had my third interview with a program last week and I have been accepted! So I'm moving out to Arizona come may. Very exciting but also overwhelming. Need to figure out newcar, roomate, apartment, loans, taxes and everything else between now and then while still disappearing to the uk for 2 months. This will be an adventure. Anyway Happy Thanksgiving and merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am sooooooooo excited for you!!!!! Congratulations and the timing is perfect in some ways you know, because you and your man are both moving forward and occupied with projects so neither of you has to miss too much. And I look forward to hearing stories about the uk. Please tell karl that I am so proud of him as well. Arizona is totally what you needed, and look you get to move that is so great. I love you. chao.

    ReplyDelete