10.16.2009

Oh Man

On Monday I went to an amazing and large concert ran around with my co-worker´s families, danced, and realized how much I love the outfits performers wear here. Glitter, boy shorts, and go go boots can´t beat them, however I unfortunately do not think I can join them either. I will put it on the list of aspirations to be glamorous. So I would like to say that my life is full of unexpected and every time
I think I have any idea of what is unexpected something greater occurs.
Like yesterday I spent hiking up a mountain of a neighborhood trying to
track down some guy who recovered from TB, interviewed him about his living conditions and habits, checked out his tin and wood shack. The man is in his late sixities and has better joints than I do. Then hung out in a health post, visited a soup kitchen, tried not to fall down the hill or get eaten by dogs. Got to the bottom of one mountain only to run up the hill that I live on to inhale lunch to run back down. Gave another presentation at lightening speed. Ate a whole bag of jelly beans thanks mom. Felt wired for the rest of the day. Played with a group of children at the library. Learned that being white is cool but being tall and white is more impressive after watching the kids go crazy with another co-worker that is 6 ft 4 inches. But today you see trumped any cup of coffee which mind you I did not have this morning. When I found myself shadowing a health professional and sitting in on a pelvic exam. Then headed over to the other departments. Certainly less intrusive. The weekend was relaxing on Friday. Clubbing again on Saturday until five in the morning. The joke here is that it is always early. One am is early to go out five am is early to be out and 8 am is just early in the morning. Whereas nothing actually runs even on time here. Early is my new personal joke. I am indulging in the local festivals especially food. And October is the birthday month which is sweet quite literally I get cake and get to dance all the time. It is the life, I officially made it. ha. On the other hand (I cannot effectively use transitions in Spanish but I can in English) work is getting more demanding we spend a lot of time in the communities getting our hands dirty and what not. We are going to have over night field trips soon and then I will know where my next two years will be... super exciting mostly nerve wrecking but I think I will get to work with an HIV/AIDS initiative so that I will be better prepared for my aspirations to go to Africa in the future. Oh the future keeps coming so quickly watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment