1.02.2010

Clean Slat

I always am surprised when I reflect on all the great things I accomplished in the previous year and usually laugh when I remember how I spent the previous New Year´s and compare it to my current situation. The experiences vary so much year to year. This year I spent it with a friend´s family. We built a doll which is symbolic of all the bad stuff from the previous year and at midnight you burn it. Also throughout the early evening people write their saludos for their friends and family. More or less roasts which were hilarious and the best part is they play on loud speakers for all the town to hear. Plus there was sparklers and fireworks. A turkey dinner followed by drinking and dancing with the family. I was gifted a handful of lentils for luck. Plus wearing yellow to also bring luck, green for my health, and red for love. There is the twelve grapes too that represent 12 wishes one for every month. Then with some friends we went dancing in town. It was all around very new and different hopefully superstition holds true and I will have worlds of luck, health, and love for 2010. I spent New Year´s Day with the mayor and his wife eating ceviche, drinking clarito and dancing for 5 hours. Pretty much every party goes on until I call mercy and then still goes on for about 5 hours after. I have many hopes for this next year as I am sure everyone does. Today it is back to work and back to normal if that exists. It is slightly sad here as school is out which means many people leave to travel, professors may or may not return the next year, and friends will be leaving for the university. So in some ways progress is coming to a halt on the personal front. Meanwhile on the professional front I am solidifying my plan for work this year. Apparently, the rain is coming which means more heat. This is the first year that I have lost weight during the holiday season with a high probability that I am going to lose more. Still trying to get used to the fact that people stare at me, call me white girl, skinny girl or that I am the most beautiful woman ever. My ego will be destroyed when I return to the states. Trying to get back into the swing of things I will start teaching English fairly soon and I think I will start a walking club since a lot of people are looking for a way to lose weight but do not really want to exercise. The community garden is going mostly well, some things have been stubborn about growing so I think I will add soy to the mix. I even started singing to the plants since I heard that was good for them. Happy New Year may it bring beautiful connections, unexpected joys, and loads of laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment